Jack Woodville London and the American Authors Association announce the First Annual A Novel Approach Literary Contest. Please join us in this celebration of your creative writing.
Here are the rules.
1. JWLBooks has published on-line the writing series A Novel Approach. Consisting of twenty-five chapters, and twenty-six after today, each episode is a different discussion of topics that writers use to move their work along, from such basics as sentences, paragraphs, and clauses to the concepts of story arc, conflict, dialogue, and research. They are free for you to read and use. Just click on the tab for A Novel Approach and read away. If you are new to it, I hope you enjoy the series as much as I enjoyed writing it (even though there were the few awkward moments, such as being mistaken in a movie theater for either George Clooney (I didn’t mind) or Danny DeVito (hmmm) as I composed a chapter while waiting for the movie to begin.
2. A Novel Approach now invites you to show the world what you can do. Just write a creative piece of between 1000 and 1,500 words. It may be on any subject you wish to write. It may be fiction, essay, opinion, fictive journalism, biography, or any other genre or form you choose. However, there is a catch. There’s always a catch.
3. Chapter 26 of A Novel Approach, sets out two sentences that must be used in your submission. The sentences may be used at any place you choose. They may not be altered, although the second sentence allows you to choose the gender. You also may choose to enclose either or both sentences in quotation ellipses if you decide to use them as dialogue in your piece.
4. The entry dates are from January 1, 2013 to February 28, 2013.
5. Judging will be blinded. Your submission should contain a cover page (not counted as part of the word total) that contains the title, your name, contact information, and genre (such as fiction, essay, report, biography, travel, or other). The submission itself should contain only the title, preceding the story. Any submissions that contain the author’s name or contact information within the story will not be judged.
6. Use Word, WordPerfect, or PDF, and show the word count at the bottom.
7. Submit your submission to maria@AmericanAuthorsAssociation.com.
8. Submissions will not be returned.
9. Winners will be announced on March 17, 2013, by notification from American Authors Association and in MWSA Dispatches. The Grand Winner will be submitted to Dispatches for publication.
Thanks for entering and for enjoying A Novel Approach and JWLBooks.
And now, show us what you can do!
See you soon.